In my last bit of study I focused my search on how wolves
could coexist with ranchers, if this was at all possible. To my surprise I
found that there are some measures being taken at this time with the help of a
charity organization called Defenders of Wildlife. From there website I
gathered quite a bit of information about their attempts to make coexistence
possible.
The Defenders of Wildlife stated in their article "Defenders in Action: Working with Ranchers" that
they have made several attempts and still continue their work efforts with
ranchers. Through their program the Defenders are helping ranchers by arranging for flandry (Flag) fences that deter wolves, regular patrol of the
livestock, and even guard dogs. This was all established in order to protect
the livestock of the ranchers. Also, for over 20 years Defenders has been
managing a program that compensates ranchers for the loss of some of their
livestock.
I believe that the work being done by Defenders is
wonderful, and I imagine that it makes a lot of ranchers feel better about
wolves being reintroduced into the wild. The possibility of coexistence may be hard for
some to believe, but the fact that efforts are being made toward this is still
outstanding. I think that through the article the Defenders have proposed their
plans well, and perhaps this may be where ranchers will come to first before
they decide to kill the wolves. Of all my sources this one is far different from the others. I think that this source has been most
revealing to me in terms of continuing survival of
these reintroduced wolves. Perhaps, this may be the key to changing the negative
attitudes experienced by many? Also, I wonder what the statistics are for wolf
kills after these preventative measures have been put into place?
No comments:
Post a Comment