Today I decided to focus a bit more on the eradication of
wolves in the early 19th and 20th centuries. I have also
found a video over the opinions of wolf reintroduction into the Wyoming area.
According to the article in PBS, when settlers first came to
America they brought with them a bounty of livestock that would often graze on
the outskirts of settlements where they were less protected. There the
livestock would be hunted by wolves and the colonists started becoming upset
upon discovering this. In order to protect their livestock they began killing
the wolves. They would set traps for the wolves and would make it a sport to
see how many wolves they could kill. In Yellowstone the baiting and killing of
wolves was becoming quite popular, but left devastating effects on the overall
population (PBS:Wolf Wars). Oftentimes, the trappers would lace carcasses with strychnine
poison, but this also affected the other animals that scavenged off the
carcasses. As large numbers of the wolves prey were killed by humans the wolves
were turning more to livestock. In response to this “bounties” were put on each
wolf carcass brought in ranging from $20-$50 per wolf. Government programs such as the U.S Bureau of Biological Survey
were recruited by stockowners to look at the devastation that the wolves had
caused which set extermination plans into motion. The following quote
illustrates the toll that was placed on the wolf populations: “More than 3,849
wolves have been destroyed by the predatory animal work of the Department and
its cooperators since the work was organized in 1915” (PBS: Wolf Wars). It wasn’t
until the 1960s that people realized wolves were beneficial to the ecosystem
and needed to be restored. In 1995 and 1996 wolves from Canada were brought in,
but one was killed by a hunter. The locals appreciated the hunter and called his
act one of heroism (PBS: Wolf Wars).
The other source I reviewed was a short video clip focused
on the introduction of wolves to Wyoming, and the feelings the ranchers had. In
the beginning the video starts off with a couple of ranchers who say that since
the introduction of wolves in 1996 their average number of deaths of livestock
increased. They go on to say that they have lost six dogs, a foal, a couple of
saddle horses, and numerous cattle to the wolves. There is also a biologist
that talks about the wolves introduction back into an ecosystem they had been
eradicated from. The strongest point in this video that stuck out to me is when
the female rancher said “I don’t blame the wolves, I blame the people that
brought them here. The wolves do only what wolves do, but they are the ones
that have to pay the price.” (Wyoming Wolf Wars: Debate Over Delisting Wolves "video below")
What I question is why was it necessary to kill all the
wolves? How has a hatred been so strong for so many years that people cheer
when a wolf is killed illegally?Also, I wonder what the actual numbers of the
killings were, and how many wolves died because of other reasons, starvation,
disease etc? How much of these secondary deaths were attributed to the mass
slaughters of buffalo and other animals by settlers in the 19th
century? I still feel a sense of wonder about the strong hate that people have
for these creatures. Hopefully, with further exploration I can learn more not
only about these creatures themselves, but what inspired such a negative opinion. I think that the sources are important to my understanding of wolves because they portray important opinions and present the facts of what happened to these animals. The PBS source is informational about the history of the wolves elimination from our society. The second source is more subjective in its focus on wolf reintroduction in Wyoming, but is still important because it clearly shows the opinions of two parties -- ranchers and biologists.
Because I like to play devil's advocate... why are wolves and their survival so important to you? They are wild animals. They are dangerous. They are economically destructive. I do agree that the level of animosity displayed against them may be disproportional to their actual threat. But I still ask why to you.
ReplyDeleteOthers have, or would say, that wolves are a majestic creature. Do you think they are? If so, what makes a creature "majestic?" What about wolves, specifically, makes them "majestic?"
I guess I missed this post (and commented on your 3rd entry, as it was posted early). PBS is a good source of info on a topic like this. I wonder, are wolves more demonized than other animals? Do bears have a similar bad reputation? What is it about wolves that makes them particularly prone to human fear and hatred?
ReplyDeleteAnd now that I think about it (and see the comment above), are you going to look at positive portrayals of wolves? The 1990s movie, Dances with Wolves comes to mind. Have such re-imaginings of wolves changed their public image?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWolves are important to me because they are my favorite animal and I believe they are very important to our ecosystem. Believe it or not, I actually used to be horribly afraid of them. When I was little I watched a program where some young boys in India found a wolf den and killed all the pups inside. The wolves found them and killed the boys. For some reason I thought the same thing was going to happen to me, and needless to say I did not sleep well that night. After that though it was a rather gradual process that creeped up on me and I found myself loving wolves. I have no idea how this happened, but it may have been a result of some research I did.
ReplyDeleteTo answer your second part properly would probably take a bit more work and thoughtful interpretation, but yes in essence I do. I believe that they are majestic in their movements, their beauty, and their similarity to human family structures.